About Me

My photo
Woman, Wife, Mom, Student, Airman, Runner, Follower of Love, Compassion, Truth, Mercy, and Kindness.

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Part 2 - Managing Students' Blogs

Okay, so I do not think I will be using student blogs in my classroom. I will be teaching high school math, and I hope to use one classroom blog as a resource and supplement to the classroom. I did find some information about managing student comments. I read some ideas from a blog titled, "Utilizing Blogs in the Classroom." It discussed issues of avoiding anonymous comments, how to hold students accountable for their posts, and minimizing spam comments. It also discussed how to set up comments so students could post using their initials and avoid using personal information. You can check out this information at the following link.
http://classroomblogging.wordpress.com/2007/05/21/managing-student-comments/

3 comments:

  1. This article brings up some interesting points. In a K-12 situation, moderating posts has some things about which you must think. Is the teacher liable for the behavior of the class? What if someone signs using another person's initials? I think having the one blog for your class or classes will make the content a lot easier to monitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about not having each student keep their own blog, too much to manage for now :) I also appreciate the link you posted; I would not have thought about a lot of those things until I was creating a classroom blog- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,
    I think teachers definitely have to utilize the blog as a virtual "classroom"...if it isn't appropriate for the classroom, its not appropriate for the blog. I am curious about it because teens are so tech savvy and so motivated by the internet that I would hope they would find it really desireable. I tend to think more about students who are the quieter ones and less likely to speak up and just wonder if it wouldn't be really helpful for that student audience. What do you think? And...did you get the email inviting you to see my teacher blog?

    ReplyDelete