About Me

My photo
Woman, Wife, Mom, Student, Airman, Runner, Follower of Love, Compassion, Truth, Mercy, and Kindness.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Using Blogs Effectively - RSS Feeds

        In order to use a blog effectively and efficiently as a supplement to the classroom, I believe it requires commitment, practice, and continual adaptation. I also believe that the teacher needs to set clear expectations for the blog, understand and set limits regarding time and interactions, and adapt to transform the process to best enhance learning.

        Managing the number of blogs you wish to read first requires setting priorities and learning the most efficient methods to access those blogs. I did try the RSS feed (Post(Atom). I believe this feature is somewhat benefitial. The feed is easy to access under favorites and assists in the organization of your reading priorities. Another nice feature:  When I click on a feed, the blog is transformed into a more easy to read format which only includes the important content and is not drowned out by advertisements and clutter.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I think you are completely right in your assessment of what will make a blog successful in an educational setting. This would likely be a new teaching tool many students experience and it is important that the teacher be ready to adapt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said, especially the practice and continual adaptation to make sure the blog meets the needs of the teacher and the students.

    I'm going to check out the RSS feature you mentioned. I need to get this blogging figured out a bit better. I keep thinking of things that I would like to do with my blog but I don't know if blogger.com has the means to do it. Here is where practice and commitment come into play :o}

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, effective blogs in a classroom require A LOT of effort from the teacher, who must constantly adapt while still maintaining the essence of the blog they were trying to set up. How much harder would it be to maintain a blog in a classroom of ten compared to a classroom of thirty?

    ReplyDelete