About Me

My photo
Woman, Wife, Mom, Student, Airman, Runner, Follower of Love, Compassion, Truth, Mercy, and Kindness.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

A Piece of the Puzzle - Marketing a Blog

What I'm noticing after reading some blog posts and articles on how to market a blog is the value of good people skills (interpersonal skills) to attract and keep an audience of readers. It seems that when marketing a blog, just like running any business or promoting any product, people skills are a key aspect to attracting and maintaining buyers, investors, readers, etc.

When people talk to you, respond to them in a polite and timely manner. In blog terms, when people make a comment, respond to the comment. It would be seen as rude to ignore someone in person, why not online? Don't be abrasive or rude in your writing. Don't take an attack stance. Use acceptance and tolerance to lay the ground work for thought provoking and reasonable conversation about a topic. Also, taking an egotistical or self-glorifying stance always turns people off. This same social rule applies in our everyday interactions with people. I remember in 4th grade when I started bragging about my good grades and how great I was... Let's just say the response wasn't positive, and I learned that it is not socially acceptable behavior to talk about how great I think I am.

My conclusion... Professional, considerate behavior and a tone of acceptance are as equally important online as they are offline, and they are one piece of the 'marketing a blog' puzzle.

2 comments:

  1. Good points. That's one thing I think would be helpful in a blog - comments that are nested under other comments. I think there is a term for that - but the comments show up in an outline form where you can tell when a comment is a comment to comment.

    Think I've used the word "comment" enough? :)'

    jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I believe a 'nested comment' feature would be nice. I guess you just have to hope that the person returns and sees your comment to their comment. I know that I have a tendency to return to my comments to see any responses, but not sure if all people have that response. Thanks for the comment Jan! I hope you return to see it... hehehe!

    ReplyDelete